Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Few More International Phantoms


New Zealand


Argentina

Canada


Norway


Denmark


Isreal


Brazil

Getting a comment from new Jungle Patrol member, The Dad Who Walks, made me realize that The Phantom was also a big hit in New Zealand. I further realized that NZ probably would have it's own publishing company to tap that market. Which lead me to FP publishing of New Zealand, who published The Phantom from 1949 to 1965. I found that at The Phantom Reference Guide, from which I also borrowed four of the above covers. The other two were found on the GCD.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like to knock another country's Phantom, but that red suit looks terrible. I will never understand the resistance some folks have to the purple. My favorite cover? Norway. You gotta love the stone throne of skulls. If only Phantom's suit was purple in that one! -- Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mykal: Frankly, I've never been a big fan of purple- the color itself. However, my love of The Phantom has made the color seem cooler somehow. Maybe it's becaue I'm American, but I agree the Phantom SHOULD be purple (unless he's just gray). You could always enjoy the Norwegian cover more by fiddling with your monitor settings ;)

    ReplyDelete